© Viktor Zolotaryov, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor, ORCID: 0000-0003-2132-9289; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kharkiv National Automobile and Highway University
SUPERPAVE: PROS AND CONS, OR HOW SUPERPAVE IS USEFUL TO US. DOI: 10.33868/0365-8392-2022-4-272-32-38
Continuation. Start in No. 3’2022
Abstract. The main positions of the Superpave system regarding the principles and methods of predicting the durability of asphalt concrete in various environmental and transport conditions of their operating are considered. Arguments in favor or unacceptability of bitumen and asphalt concrete quality indicators provided by the system are presented. This concern: methods of design of compositions according to Fuller, assignment of asphalt concretes according to volumetric and spatial characteristics, obtaining of physical and rheological properties of bitumen. Attention is focused on the methods and criteria of laboratory compaction of asphalt concrete samples; attention is paid to the properties of asphalt concrete that give the most objective idea about the work of asphalt concrete in road layers (rutting resistance and fatigue). It is emphasized that the system does not consider water resistance and crack resistance of asphalt concrete. Attention is drawn to difficulties of an instrumental, financial and organizational nature regarding the implementation of the system in Ukraine.
Keywords: bitumen, asphalt concrete, PG-zone, rutting resistance, stiffness, module, composition, compaction, zoning.
11. Zolotarev V. A., Galkin A. V., Koryuk V. P., Ilyin Ya. V. (2018). Influence of equiviscous temperatures of preparation and compaction of asphalt mixtures on the properties of asphalt concrete. Kharkiv National Automobile and Highway University.
12. Asphalt Binder Testing: Technician’a Manual for Specification Testing of Asphalt Binder. Asphalt institute MS-25. Publishing II.
13. Vasiliev Yu. E. (2005). Interlaboratory joint evaluation experiments on testing oil road bitumen and asphalt mixes 2004-2005. Moscow, Technopolis RAF Center, 205-258.
14. Zolotarev V. A. (1967). Quelques problemes de frotement interne dans les betons bitumineux. Bull. Liaison Labo. Routiers P.et Ch. 23, 1-12.
15. Zolotarev V. A. (1977). Durability of road concrete. Kharkiv, Vishcha shkola, 116.
16. Goglidze L. M. (1955). On the issue of studying the rheological properties of bitumen and asphalt concrete. Proceedings of MADI, 16, 24-32.
17. Gorelyshev N. V., Panteleev F. N. (1953). On the plasticity of road asphalt concrete. Proceedings of MADI, 15, 138-152.
18. Kozlovsky B. A. (1958). About road asphalt concrete. Proceedings of MADI, 23, 14-29.
19. Dzhumanov R. B. (2020). Superpave or “back side of the moon”. Russian road builder, 52, 1-7.
20. Arand W., Sybilski D. (1992). An influence of Polish road bitumens on low temperature properties of an asphalt concrete. Prace Instytutu Badawcrego Drogi Mostow, 3, 5-26.
21. Zolotarev V. A., Syuini G. K. (2008). Early anticipation of cracking problems in asphalt concrete pavements. Autoshlyahovik of Ukraine, 6, 43-46.
22. Radovskiy B. S. (2008). Bitumen fragility is determined by the device. Highways, 60, 26-27.