© Vasyl Mateichyk, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor, Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, ORCID: 0000-0002-3683-7246, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org;
© Serhii Kovbasenko, Candidate of Technical Sciences, Associate Professor, Professor of the Department of Road Machinery, ORCID: 0000-0002-7309-8200, e-mail: email@example.com
National Transport University
PROSPECTS OF INCREASING ENVIRONMENTAL SAFETY
OF DIESEL VEHICLES
Abstract. The issue of reducing environmental pollution by road tranport is an important component of the overall environmental problem, the severity of which is growing every year. Despite continuous improvement, modern diesel engines are a significant source of pollutant emissions that cause global climate change, the extinction of entire species of animals and plants, the deterioration of human health and other irreversible consequences. The main focus of researchers in improving environmental safety is aimed at full or partial replacement of diesel fuel with alternative fuels, which may be of petroleum and non-petroleum origin. The peculiarities of the use of liquefied petroleum gas and compressed natural gas, biofuels and alcohols, ethers, as well as hydrogen as motor fuels are described. The analysis showed that the considered types of fuel with proper organization of the working process of diesel propulsion systems are promising. The use of alternative motor fuels, such as compressed natural gas, biofuels of vegetable or animal origin, etc., will significantly expand the fuel base of diesel vehicles and does not require significant design changes. However, in many cases, for example, the use of hydrogen or alcohols requires a significant change in the design of the engine, which requires high socio-economic costs. The article substantiates the need to develop a methodology for evaluating the use of alternative fuels, which will combine a set of functional and mathematical models to determine the energy efficiency and environmental safety of diesel vehicles when using alternative fuels both in pure form and as additives (mixed fuels). The importance of feasibility study for the use of alternative and mixed fuels with regard to socio-economic costs is emphasized.
Keywords: vehicle, diesel, environmental safety, fuel consumption, exhaust gases, pollutant emissions, alternative fuels.
1. V.P. Mateychyk, R.V. Symonenko, S.V. Kolomiyets’, N. M. Horid’ko. (2010). Do otsinky zabrudnennya dovkillya transportnymy zasobamy na okremykh tapakh zhyttyevoho tsyklu. [To assess the pollution of the environment by vehicles at certain stages of the life cycle]. Visnyk NTU, 21, 2, 33–37.
2. S. Kovbasenko, M. Nazarenko, V. Petrenko, A. Holyk. (2016). Perspektyvy vykorystannya pryrodnoho hazu dvyhunamy transportnykh zasobiv v Ukrayini. [Prospects for the use of natural gas by the engines of vehicles in Ukraine]. Systemy i środki transportu samochodowego. Wybrane zagadnienia / pod redaktsiją naukową Kazimierza Lejdy Monografhia nr 7; Seria “Transport”; Politechnika Rzesyowska im. Ignatsego Łukasiewitsza. Rzesżow, 159–164.
3. Mikulski Matsiej, Wierzbitski Sławomir, Ambrosewitsz-Walatsik Marta, Duda Kamil and Piętak Andrzej. (2015). Tsombustion of Gaseous Alternative Fuels in Tsompression Ignition Engines retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/61663/.
4. S. Kovbasenko, V. Petrenko, S. Hutarevych, A. Holyk. (2017). Pereobladnannya dyzelya v hazodyzel’, yak mozhlyvist’ rozshyrennya palyvnoyi bazy avtomobil’noho transportu. [Conversion of diesel to gas diesel as an opportunity to expand the fuel base of automobile transport]. Visnyk. Naukovo-tekhnichnyy zbirnyk. Kyiv, NTU, 1, 37, 154–160. Seriya “Tekhnichni nauky”.
5. Ahrobiznes Ukrayiny. (2020). BusinessViews. Tsasual business insights. Retrieved from https://agribusinessinukraine.tsom/the-infographitss-report-ukrainian-agribusiness-2020/.
6. S. V. Kovbasenko, V. V. Simonenko, O. V. Buhryk. (2019). Polipshennya pokaznykiv transportnykh zasobiv vykorystannyam dyzel’nykh biopalyv z roslynnoyi ta utylizovanoyi tvarynnoyi syrovyny. [Improving the performance of vehicles by using diesel biofuels from vegetable and recycled animal raw materials]. Avtomobil’ni dorohy i dorozhnye budivnytstvo. Naukovo-tekhnichnyy zbirnyk. National Transport University, Kyiv, 106, 40-45.
7. Buhryk O. V. (2017). Perspektyvy vykorystannya biodyzel’nykh palyv, otrymuvanykh utylizatsiyeyu vidkhodiv kharchovoyi promyslovosti v dvyhunakh kolisnykh transportnykh zasobiv. [Prospects for the use of biodiesel fuels obtained utilization of food industry waste in wheeled transport engines means]. Visnyk NTU, 1, 37, 35–41.
8. D. S. Zhalkin, S. H. Zhalkin, V. H. Puzyr, O. O. Anats’kyy; Ed. S. H. Zhalkina. (2021). Lokomotyvni ekspluatatsiyni materialy. [Locomotive operational materials: training]. Kharkiv, UkrDUZT, Palyvo, 1, 106.