© Viktor Zolotaryov, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor, ORCID: 0000-0003-2132-9289; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kharkiv National Automobile and Highway University
SUPERPAVE: PROS AND CONS, OR HOW SUPERPAVE IS USEFUL TO US
Abstract. The main positions of the Superpave system regarding the principles and methods of predicting the durability of asphalt concrete in various environmental and transport conditions of their operating are considered. Arguments in favor or unacceptability of bitumen and asphalt concrete quality indicators provided by the system are presented. This concern: methods of design of compositions according to Fuller, assignment of asphalt concretes according to volumetric and spatial characteristics, obtaining of physical and rheological properties of bitumen. Attention is focused on the methods and criteria of laboratory compaction of asphalt concrete samples; attention is paid to the properties of asphalt concrete that give the most objective idea about the work of asphalt concrete in road layers (rutting resistance and fatigue). It is emphasized that the system does not consider water resistance and crack resistance of asphalt concrete. Attention is drawn to difficulties of an instrumental, financial and organizational nature regarding the implementation of the system in Ukraine.
Keywords: bitumen, asphalt concrete, PG-zone, rutting resistance, stiffness, module, composition, compaction, zoning.
1. Bible. The second book of Moses. Exodus. Chapter 2. Retrieved from https://biblia.org.ua/bibliya/ish.html
2. Radovsky B. S. (2021). About Superpave in Russia. Road World, 135, –22-25.
3. Radovsky B. S. (2008). Modern state of development of the American method of designing Superpave asphalt mixes. World of roads, 12-22.
4. Duriez M., Arrambide J. (1962). Nouveau traite de materiaux de construction. Paris Dunod, 3, 1543.
5. Korolev I. V. (1984). Road warm asphalt concrete. Kiev, Vyshcha shkola, 200.
6. NCAN-NAPA. (2009). Hot Asphalt Mixes, Materials, Sizing, Mixing and Highway Construction. 411.
7. Rybyov I. A. (1958). Some issues of improving the quality of asphalt concrete. Scientific report of Research Institute Mostroy, Moscow, 25.
8. LLC “TSMIiS” & ANO “NII TSK”. (2019). GOST 58401.1–2019. Mixes asphalt concrete road and asphalt concrete. Volumetric-functional design system. Technical requirements. Retrieved from https://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200164804
9. Radovsky B. S. (2007). Designing the composition of asphalt concrete mixtures in the USA using the SUPERPAVE method. Road equipment, 2007, 86-99.
10. Elvira J. L., Fernandez del Campo J. A. (1977). Comportement mecanique des melanges bitunineux. Bull. Liaison Labo. P.et Ch., Special V, 153–162.