© Alla Kononenko, e-mail: email@example.com,
© Liudmyla Nahrebelna, Phd, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org,
M.P. Shulgin State Road Research Institute State Enterprise (DerzhdorNDI SE)
“INTELLIGENT TRAFFIC LIGHT” – IMPACT ON ROAD TRAFFIC SAFETY
Abstract. Road safety and measures to ensure it are a priority area of our state’s activity in view of the content of Article 3 of the Constitution of Ukraine, where a person, his life and health, safety are recognized as the highest social value in Ukraine. Reducing the number of accidents, reducing the severity of the consequences of traffic accidents, and especially reducing road accidents with fatalities to a minimum is the main task of specialists who are engaged in improving road safety.
Traffic lights are one of the main components of road infrastructure, they are an optical signaling device designed to regulate traffic vehicles and pedestrians on roads and railway crossings. It is this device that regulates the movement of vehicles and pedestrians on the roadway and helps to avoid traffic accidents. Today, the traffic light has entered our lives so much that it is even difficult to imagine how it is possible to regulate traffic flows and ensure the safety of pedestrians on the roads without it. Adaptive or so-called “smart traffic lights” are considered the most modern type of traffic light regulation.
Smart traffic lights are modern equipment that allows you to measure the intensity of traffic at the intersection and quickly, in real time, change regulation programs to reduce traffic jams. Artificial intelligence itself analyzes flow parameters, time and date, intensity to improve traffic.
It is worth noting that despite the obvious advantages, smart traffic lights will not be able to completely solve the problem of traffic jams, but they will help to partially solve the problem of traffic accidents and support the ecological situation, since the level of emissions of harmful substances into the atmosphere is reduced thanks to the smooth movement of traffic.
Keywords: street and road network, traffic jam, smart traffic light, traffic flow.
1. Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. (2020). Stratehii pidvyshchennia rivnia bezpeky dorozhnoho rukhu v Ukraini na period do 2020 roku: Rozporiadzhennia Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainyvid 14 chervnia 2017 roku N 481–r [Strategy for increasing the level of road safety in Ukraine for the period until 2020: Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of June 14, 2017 N 481-r]. Baza danykh Zakonodavstvo Ukrainy. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/en/481-2017-%D1%80/print [in Ukraine].
2. Polishchuk V. P., Nahrebelna L. P. (2016). Analiz faktoriv, shcho sprychyniaiut DTP na avtomobilnykh dorohah zahalnoho korystuvannia ta propozytsii po yikh likvidatsii [Analysis of factors causing road accidents on public highways and proposals for their elimination]. Roads and bridges, Kyiv, 16, 82-85 [in Ukraine].
3. Prof. Polishchuk V. P., graduate student Nagrebelna L. P. (2018). Do pytannia pro zatory na vulychno-dorozhnii merezhi mist. [Regarding the issue of traffic jams on the street and road network of cities]. LXXIV naukova konferentsiia profesorsko-vykladatskoho skladu, aspirantiv, studentiv ta spivrobitnykiv vidokremlenykh strukturnykh pidrozdiliv universytetu [LXXIV scientific conference of professors and teaching staff, graduate students, students and employees of separate structural divisions of the university]. Kyiv, NTU, 564, 292.
4. Polishchuk V. P., Nagrebelna L. P. (2019). Problemy sychasnogo mista [Problems of the modern city]. Kyiv, Visnyk NTU, 3, 43, 2019, 136–142. DOI: 10.33744/2308-6645-2019-1-43-136-142.
5. Shcho take svitlofor ta yak vin z’yavyvsya v nashomu zhytti? [What is a traffic light and how did it appear in our lives?]. Retrieved 2022-08-20 from tps://shkolazhizni.ru/culture/articles/68143.
6. Pravyla dorozhn’oho rukhu [Traffic rules]. Retrieved 2022-08-20 from http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/cgi-bin/laws/main.cgi?page=3&nreg=1306-2001-%EF
7. Svitlofor: funktsiyi, vydy, rehulyuvannya. [Traffic light: functions, types, adjustment]. Retrieved 2022-08-20 from http://transspot.ru/2015/01/11/svetofor-funkcii-vidy-regulirovanie/
8. Svitlofor maybutn’oho. [Traffic light of the future]. types, adjustment]. Retrieved 2022-08-20 from https://metrobuildivec.livejournal.com/22823.html
9. Koly bulo zrobleno pershyy svitlofor [When was the first traffic light made?]. Retrieved from https://gameasphalt.ru/uk/kogda-byl-sdelan-pervyi-svetofor-kak-menyalis-svetofory-s-xix-veka/
10. “Rozumnyy svitlofor” – komfort ta bezpeka na dorohakh [“Smart traffic light” is a comfort and safety on the roads]. Retrieved from https://acc.cv.ua/news/chernivtsi/u-chernivcyah-na-perehrestyah-z-yavlyatsya-intelektualni-svitlofori-76900
11. U Kopenhaheni navit’ planuyet’sya vstanovyty blyz’ko 400 rozumnykh svitloforiv. [Those planned to install about 400 smart traffic lights in Copenhagen]. Retrieved from http://elartu.tntu.edu.ua/bitstream/lib/29851/5/ Волянський.pdf
12. V Italiyi svitlofory budut’ avtomatychno shtrafuvaty porushnykiv PDR. [Traffic lights in Italy will automatically fine traffic violators]. Retrieved from https://auto.rbc.ua/ukr/show/italii-svetofory-budut-avtomaticheski-shtrafovat-1629443068.html