© Vasyl Redchenko, Doctor of Technical Sciences (D.Sc.), Leading Researcher,
ORCID: 0000-0001-5938-1467, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
On determining the load capacity of highway bridges
Abstract. Information is provided on the methodological recommendations developed and adopted by Ukravtodor for determining the carrying capacity of road bridges. The main provisions of these recommendations are briefly outlined.
For practical application, the carrying capacity of the bridge is defined as:
– the maximum total mass of the vehicle moving in the column is permissible;
– the maximum total mass of a heavy vehicle moving in a single order is permissible;
– permissible maximum load on the axle of the vehicle.
The initial data for determining the actual carrying capacity of the bridge are the results of its inspection and data from technical documentation. All detected defects and deviations of the structure from the project should be analyzed and taken into account when determining its actual carrying capacity.
The carrying capacity of the bridge is defined as the minimum value, which was determined by checking the boundary states for its main structures: supports, span structures and slabs of the carriageway. Inspections of sections of structures are performed by comparing the calculated force from the time load and the limiting force for the cross-section of the structure to be checked, minus the forces from constant and other loads. Recommendations for the selection of sections that are checked and algorithms for these checks are provided.
When determining the carrying capacity in the form of an acceptable total mass of the vehicle in the column, the temporary load is taken according to the load schemes H-30 and H-40. These loads are truck columns weighing 30 tons each and weighing 40 tons each.
The carrying capacity for the permissible weight of a single heavy vehicle is determined according to the NK-80 scheme (weight parameter 80 tons).
The carrying capacity for the permissible axle load is determined by multiplying the load capacity ratio relative to the load according to the A-11 scheme (weight parameter 12 tons).
Road signs in front of the bridge, which limit the weight parameters of vehicles, must have the value of the actual carrying capacity of the bridge according to the permissible total mass of the vehicle in the column and the permissible axle load, respectively.
Keywords: road bridge, carrying capacity, road signs, technical condition.
1. DSTU-N B V.2.3-23. (2012). Nastanova z otsinyuvannya i prohnozuvannya tekhnichnoho stanu avtodorozhnikh mostiv. [DSTU-N B V.2.3-23 Guidelines for assessing and predicting the technical condition of highway bridges]. Retrieved from http://online.budstandart.com/ua/catalog/doc-page?id_doc=51080
2. Ukravtodor. (2020). Analitychna ekspertna systema upravlinnya mostamy Ukrayiny (AESUM). [Analytical Expert Bridge Management System of Ukraine (AESUM)]. Retrieved from https://ukravtodor.gov.ua
3. DSTU 8814:2018. (2018). Transportni sporudy. Mosty avtodorozhni. Terminy ta vyznachennya ponyatʹ. [Transport facilities. Road bridges. Terms and definitions]. Retrieved from http://online.budstandart.com/ua/catalog/doc-page.html?id_doc=79567
4. R V.2.3-218-03450778-711:2007. (2007). Rekomendatsiyi z diahnostyky stanu prohonovykh budov mostiv za dynamichnoyu diyeyu rukhomoho navantazhennya. [Recommendations for diagnosing the state of span structures of bridges under the dynamic action of a moving load]. Retrieved from http://online.budstandart.com/ua/catalog/doc-page?id_doc=25003
5. R V.2.3-03450778-861:2015. (2015). Rekomendatsiyi shchodo naturnoho vyznachennya faktychnykh napruzhenʹ v zalizobetonnykh konstruktsiyakh mostiv vid postiynykh navantazhenʹ. [Recommendations for on-site determination of actual stresses in reinforced concrete bridge structures from permanent loads]. Retrieved from http://online.budstandart.com/ua/catalog/doc-page?id_doc=63533
6. R V.2.3-03450778-858:2015. (2015). Rekomendatsiyi shchodo vstanovlennya obmezhennya shvydkosti rukhu na avtodorozhnikh mostakh vidpovidno do yikh faktychnoho tekhnichnoho stanu. [Recommendations on setting speed limits on highway bridges in accordance with their actual technical condition]. Retrieved from http://online.budstandart.com/ua/catalog/doc-page?id_doc=63532
7. DSTU 8748:2017. (2017). Nastanova shchodo provedennya dynamichnykh vyprobuvanʹ avtodorozhnikh mostiv. [Guidelines for conducting dynamic tests of highway bridges]. Retrieved from http://online.budstandart.com/ua/catalog/doc-page.html?id_doc=75050
8. DBN V.1.2-15-2009. (2009). Mosty i truby. Navantazhennya i vplyvy. [Bridges and pipes. Loads and influences]. Retrieved from https://cutt.ly/21WSTnJ
9. Kabinet Ministriv Ukrayiny. (2001). Postanova vid 10.10.2001 № 1306 «Pro pravyla dorozhnʹoho rukhu». [Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated 10.10.2001 No. 1306 “On traffic rules”]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1306-2001-%D0%BF#Text
10. Redchenko V. P. (2021). Analiz prychyn avariynoho ruynuvannya mostu cherez r. Chortomlyk. [Analysis of the causes of the accidental destruction of the bridge across the Chortomlyk River]. Avtoshlyakhovyk Ukrayiny, 2, 62-69.