© Tetyana Tereshchenko, Candidate of Chemical Sciences, Senior Research Officer,
© Serhiy Illiash, Chief of Department,
CALCULATION OF GRADING OF COLD RECYCLED MIXTURES USING NEW AGGREGATES ACCORDING TO THE DESIGNED THICKNESS OF A REHABILITATED LAYER
Abstract. Technologies of cold recycling of asphalt concrete using various types of binders have been widely implemented in road building industry in Ukraine. Technologies of cold recycling allow to eliminate some types of deformations or destructions and also to enhance bearing capacity of flexible road pavements. If required, process of cold recycling assumes application of new aggregates to achieve standard grading of a recycled mixture. As the standard requirement does not state any restrictions on relative content of new aggregates, these can be applied to achieve the designed thickness of a rehabilitated layer. This article presents a method for calculation of grading of cold recycled mixtures according to the designed thickness of a rehabilitated layer assuming the amount of reclaimed asphalt pavement (RAP) equals to the amount of asphalt concrete in a milled layer. The proposed method is based on calculation of grading of a mixture of new aggregates that should be rather individual for each recycled mixture. The input data for calculation should be obtained from results of a field testing of “old” road pavement construction and also from laboratory investigation of “old” asphalt concrete cores.
The article gives also some examples of calculation which are performed on base of mean values of standard grading of recycled mixtures. Nevertheless, the proposed method of calculation could be applied on the base of any values selected within the standard limits. The proposed method assures precise modeling of composition and properties of a recycled mixture and could be implemented when planning projects on rehabilitation of flexible road pavements either by cold in-plant or cold in-place recycling.
Keywords: asphalt concrete, cold recycling, recycled mixture, methodology for calculation of grading of recycled mixture.
1. Zhdanyuk, V., Sybyl’skyy D. Vsesvitnya dorozhnya asotsiatsiya. Tekhnichnyy komitet S7/8 «Dorozhni pokryttya». Retsyklyuvannya dorozhnikh odyahiv. [PIARC World Road Association, PIARC Committee on C7/8 “Road Pavements”. Recycling of Road Pavements. Part 1. Cold in-place recycling of pavements with cement] Kharkiv, KHNADU, 2005, 77 p.
2. Tereshchenko, T. A. (2017) Aspekty uspishnoho vprovadzhennya promyslovoho resayklinhu dorozhn’oho asfal’tobetonu [Aspects of the successful implementation of in-plant recycling of asphalt concrete]. “Roads and Bridges” Digest, vol. 17, pp. 5 – 13.
3. Buczyński, P., Iwański, M. (2018) Complex modulus change within the linear viscoelastic region of the mineral-cement mixture with foamed bitumen. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 172, pp. 52 – 62.
3. Holovko, S. K. (2017) Suchasni tekhnolohiyi remontu nezhorstkykh dorozhnikh odyahiv v Ukrayini [Modern technologies for repairing flexible road pavements in Ukraine] Road Industry in Ukraine, № 5, 2017, pp. 40 – 43.
4. Holovko, S. K. (2010) Kholodnyy resayklinh. Suchasni normatyvni vymohy [Cold recycling. Modern normative requirements]. Road Industry in Ukraine, № 5, 2010, pp. 70 – 71.
5. Industry Building Codes (VBN V.2.3-218-545:2009) (2009) Sporudy transportu. Ukriplennya ta stabilizatsiya shariv dorozhn’oho odyahu za metodom kholodnoho resayklinhu: VBN V.2.3-218-545:2009 (Vidomchi budivel’ni normy) [Transport facilities. Strengthening and stabilization of pavement layers using the cold recycling method] Kyiv, State Road Agency of Ukraine, 2009, 23 p.
6. State Road Agency of Ukraine (2014) Materialy orhano-mineral’ni dorozhni z frezerovanykh materialiv dorozhnikh odyahiv, vyhotovleni metodom kholodnoho resayklinhu. Metody vyprobuvan’: SOU 42.1-37641918-127:2014. Standart orhanizatsiyi Ukrayiny [Road organic mineral materials made from materials of road pavements by methods of cold recycling]. Kyiv, State Road Agency of Ukraine, 2014, 35 p.
7. State Road Agency of Ukraine (2011) Budivel’ni materialy. Sumishi orhano-mineral’ni dorozhni z frezerovanykh materialiv dorozhnikh odyahiv, vyhotovleni za metodom kholodnoho resayklinhu. Tekhnichni umovy: SOU 45.2-00018112-061:2011. Standart orhanizatsiyi Ukrayiny [Building materials. Road organic mineral materials made from materials of road pavements by methods of cold recycling. Specifications]. Kyiv, State Road Agency of Ukraine, 2011,
8. Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Housing and Communal services of Ukraine (1999) Budivel’ni materialy. Shchebin’ i hraviy shchil’ni pryrodni dlya budivel’nykh materialiv, vyrobiv, konstruktsiy i robit. Tekhnichni umovy: DSTU B V.2.7-75-98 Natsional’nyy standart Ukrayiny [Building materials. Solid natural crushed stone and gravel for building materials, products, structures and construction works Specifications]. Kyiv, Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine, 39 p.
9. State Committee for Urban Development (1996) Budivel’ni materialy. Pisok shchil’nyy pryrodnyy dlya budivel’nykh materialiv, vyrobiv, konstruktsiy i robit. Tekhnichni umovy: DSTU B V.2.7-32-95. Natsional’nyy standart Ukrayiny [Building materials. Dense natural sand for building materials, fabrics, structures and construction works. Specifications]. Kyiv, State Committee for Urban Development, 32 p.