© Artur Onyshchenko, Doctor of Technical Sciences (D.Sc.), Head of the Bridges, Tunnels and Hydraulic Engineering Department, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, ORCID: 0000-0002-1040-4530 (National Transport University);
© Volodymyr Zelenovskiy, Head of Road Technologies Department, e-mail: email@example.com, ORCID: 0000-0001-5834-5456 (DerzhdorNDI SE)
ANALYSIS OF EXPERIMENTAL RESEARCH OF PHYSICAL AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF EPOXY ASPHALT CONCRETE FOR ITS APPLICATION ON BRIDGE COVERING ON ROADS
Abstract. Introduction. This paper considers the issue of improving the quality of coatings on road reinforced concrete, reinforced concrete bridges or metal bridges with orthotropic slab. The constructive decisions of increase of working capacity and fatigue durability of asphalt concrete coverings are offered. The results of the analysis of experimental researches of physical and mechanical properties of epoxy asphalt concrete are given. The efficiency of epoxy components in asphalt concrete mixtures, which significantly improve the physical and mechanical properties of bitumen, is shown. According to the results of experimental laboratory tests, a comparative analysis of the properties of epoxy asphalt concrete and source asphalt concrete on viscous and rarefied bitumen is given. Also, the influence of the duration and temperature of curing of epoxy components on the properties of epoxy asphalt concrete was analyzed.
Problem statement. In today’s conditions of high-speed intensive traffic, high traffic loads and adverse weather and climatic factors that occur in our country, increasing the durability of pavements on bridges to increase service life and reduce costs associated with maintenance, requires special attention. One of the effective ways to improve the quality and durability of asphalt pavements on road bridges is the modification of bitumen by using as the main material thermosetting polymer additives, in our case – epoxy components (epoxy resin and its hardener).
Objective. The purpose of the analysis of experimental studies of physical and mechanical properties of epoxy asphalt concrete is to study the possibility of its use as a pavement on highways. As well as confirmation of efficiency in solving the problem of achieving increased fatigue life of such coatings at different load frequencies by increasing track resistance, strength, crack resistance and at the same time solving no less important issue to minimize the cost of repair and construction work during bridge operation.
Materials and methods. Asphalt concrete coverings on orthotropic or reinforced concrete slab of the carriageway of the bridge with improved physical and mechanical properties due to the use of thermosetting polymer additives as a bitumen modifier.
Results. The analysis of experimental researches of physical and mechanical properties of epoxy asphalt concrete is carried out and efficiency of its application for improvement of quality of coverings on road bridges and increase of their durability is defined. A set of studies was conducted to compare the properties of epoxy asphalt concrete and source asphalt concrete on viscous and rarefied bitumen.
Conclusions. To increase the fatigue life of asphalt pavements on road bridges in modern conditions of high traffic intensity in our region with a wide range of operating temperatures, it is necessary to develop new solutions for the use of building materials. That is why the study of physical and mechanical properties of asphalt concretes improved by thermosetting polymer additives in order to determine their true effectiveness in improving track resistance, strength and crack resistance of coatings based on them is an urgent issue today. The use of epoxy-asphalt concrete coating on orthotropic or reinforced concrete slab of the carriageway of the bridge requires special attention in establishing the optimal duration and curing temperature of epoxy components, which can dramatically affect its physical and mechanical properties and determine the cooking technology.
Keywords: epoxy asphalt concrete, epoxy asphalt concrete mixture, physical and mechanical properties of epoxy asphalt concrete, composition of epoxy asphalt concrete mixtures, epoxy resin, road bitumen, modification of bitumen, properties of bitumen, durability of paving.
1. Onyshchenko A. M. (2017). Scientific basis for improving the stability of asphalt concrete pavement to the formation of a track on road bridges (Doctoral dissertation). Proquest Dissertations and Theses. Ph.D (Ing.) Kyiv. Retrieved July 13, 2020 from https://u.to/C785GQ [in Ukrainian]
2. Onyshchenko A. N. (2008). Increase of longevity of asphalt – concrete’s layers for an account the use of polymeric latexes: dissertation for a scientific degree Candidate Engineering Sciences. Kyiv, 21. Retrieved July 13, 2020 from https://u.to/xEIhFg [in Ukrainian]
3. Lavrukhin V., Kalgin Yu., Erofeev V. (2001). Ustalostnaya dolgovechnost’ asfal’tobetonov na modifitsirovannykh bitumakh. [Fatigue life of asphalt concrete based on modified bitumen]. Russia, Saransk, Vestnik mordovskogo universiteta, 3–4, 128–135. Retrieved January 16, 2001 from https://u.to/O8T5Gg
4. Kishchinsky S. V., Kopinets I. V. (2018). Provesty doslidzhennya ta rozrobyty enerho ta resursozberihayuchi tekhnolohiyi vlashtuvannya dovhovichnykh dorozhnikh pokryttiv z vykorystannyam termoreaktyvnykh modyfikatoriv asfalʹtobetonu z epoksyskladovoyu. Zvit pro naukovo-doslidnu robotu. Kyiv. [in Ukrainian].
5. Peijun Xu, Peiliang Cong, Huan Ye, Shuanfa Chen. Modification of Epoxy Asphalt by Hyperbranched Polyester. (2013). Materials Science and Technology II. Xi’an, 716, 379–382.
Retrieved July 15, 2020 from https://u.to/h9ktFg
6. Alabaster D., Herrington P. R., Waters J. (2012). Ultra long life low noise porous asphalt. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. Hong Kong, 131, 4, 131, 4:3225. Retrieved July 22, 2020 from https://u.to/7-EtFg
7. Jianming Wei, Yuzhen Zhang. (2012). Study on the Curing Process of Epoxy Asphalt. China, Beijing, Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 40, 7, 1–8. Retrieved January 20, 2021 from https://u.to/HMv5Gg.
8. Yang Kang, Mingyu Song, Liang Pu, Tingfu Liu. (2015). Rheological behaviors of epoxy asphalt binder in comparison of base asphalt binder and SBS modified asphalt binder. Construction and Building Materials. Chins, Hong Kong, 12–18.
9. Kozhushko V. P., Bylʹchenko A. V., Kyslov A. H., Berezhnaya E. V., Bezbabycheva O. Y, Buhaevskyy S. A., Krasnov S. N., Krasnova E. S. (2016). Povyshenye dolhovechnosty avtodorozhnykh mostov. Monohrafyya [Increasing the durability of road bridges. Monograph]. Ukraine, Kharʹkov, 236. (Information and documentation). [in Ukrainian].
10. State Standard of Ukraine. (2001). DSTU 4044-2001 Bitumy naftovi dorozhni v’yazki. Tekhnichni umovy. [Bitumens are oil road bindings. Specifications]. Kyiv, 15. (Information and documentation) [in Ukrainian].
11. State Standard of Ukraine. (2012). DSTU B V.2.7-119:2011 Sumishi asfalʹtobetonni i asfalʹtobeton dorozhniy ta aerodromnyy. Tekhnichni umovy. [Mixtures of asphalt and asphalt road and airfield. Specifications). Kyiv, 2012. 59 р. (Information and documentation]. [in Ukrainian].
12. State Standard of Ukraine. (2016). DSTU B V.2.7-319:2016 Sumishi asfalʹtobetonni i asfalʹtobeton dorozhniy ta aerodromnyy. Metody vyprobuvanʹ. [Mixtures of asphalt and asphalt road and airfield. Test methods]. Kyiv, 64. (Information and documentation) [in Ukrainian].
13. Standard of organization of Ukraine. (2010). SOU 45.2-00018112-057:2010 Asfalʹtobetonni sumishi ta asfalʹtobeton na osnovi modyfikovanykh polimeramy bitumiv. [Asphalt mixes and asphalt concrete based on polymer modified bitumen]. Kyiv, 15. (Information and documentation) [in Ukrainian].