© Tetiana Lozova, Junior Researcher, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, ORCID: 0000-0002-6615-5932;
© Lesya Yaroshchuk, Head of the Road Sanitary-Ecological Laboratory, e-mail: email@example.com, ORCID: 0000-0003-1550-0131
(Department of Ecology and Earth M.P. Shulgin State Road Research Institute State Enterprise)
WORLD EXPERIENCE OF SELECTION OF PRIORITY AREAS FOR THE EQUIPMENT OF BIO-TRANSITIONS AND FENCES FOR THE PROTECTION OF WILD ANIMALS
Abstract. The experience of data collection methods for the installation of bio-transitions and fences for the protection of wild animals is analyzed. The need of strategic forecasting and planning of bio-transitions for animals is substantiated.
Ukraine has an advantageous territorial location and therefore it is necessary to work on the modernization, expansion and improvement of the entire road network so that there is no threat to the ecological balance. The current state of the transport and road complex of our country requires the use of foreign experience. The decision of site selection for bio-transitions arrangement requires information, experience, appropriate tools and resources to determine the sites that are most suitable for the construction of these facilities.
Issues. In order to facilitate the unimpeded migration of wild animals and reduce their death rate, bio-transitions are actively used in many countries. Improperly designed and installed fences are the reason of their ineffectiveness, in some cases they are an obstacle to the reproduction of populations and a restriction of wildlife feeding.
The purpose of the work is to analyze the world experience of the approaches of site selection for the arrangement of bio-transitions.
Materials and methods. Analysis of information sources, in particular foreign ones, on approaches and methods of site selection for arrangement of engineering structures for animal crossing.
Results. The analysis of foreign information sources on methods of monitoring the migration routes of wild animals to determine the location for bio-transitions arrangement is carried out.
Conclusions. The main approaches to monitoring and data collection for the site selection for bio-transitions arrangement are proposed.
Keywords: highway, animal monitoring, bio-transition.
1. Eugene, Obrien, Edgar, van der Grift, Morten, Elmeros, Ryan, Wilson-Parr, Ciarán, Carey. (2018). CEDR Contractor Report 2018-3. Call 2013: Roads and Wildlife The Roads and Wildlife Manual.
2. Huijser, Marcel P. McGowen, Patrick, T. (2003). Overview of animal detection and animal warning systems in North America and Europe.
3. Yaping, Kong et al. (2013). Road wildlife ecology research in China / Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences 96, 1191 – 1197.
4. Song, F. C., Tian, W. P, Zhao, Q. Q., et al. (2005). Environment Impact and Engineering Measures for the Si-Xiao Expressway Construction in Tropical Rain Forest Area. Journal of China & Foreign Highway, 22, 9, 175-178.
5. P., Huijser, P., Clevenger. (2011). Wildlife Crossing Structure Handbook, Design and Evaluation in North America Technical Report.
6. Marco, Bassani, Jochen, Jaeger. (2018-2019). Prioritizing road sections for wildlife fencing to reduce road mortality, Anno Accademico, 14-15.
7. Guillaume, Testud, Alan, Vergnes, Philippe, Cordier, et al. (2019). Testud et al. Anim Biotelemetry, 2019 7:21. Automatic detection of small PIT-tagged animals using wildlife crossing.
8. Moneo, Shannon. (November 14, 2006). Season begins for B.C.’s bloody road show. Globe and Mail.
9. Jaroslav, Žák, Michal, Kraus, Petra, Machová, Jan, Plachý. (2020). Smart Green Bridge – Wildlife Crossing Bridges of New Generation, IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 728, 10-12.
10. Iuell, B., Bekker, G. J., Cuperus, R., Dufek, J., Fry, G., Hicks, C., Hlavác, V., Keller, V., B., Rosell, C., Sangwine, T., Tørsløv, N., Wandall, B. le Maire, (Eds.). (2003). Wildlife and Traffic: A European Handbook for Identifying Conflicts and Designing Solutions.
11. Yaroshchuk, O. S., Kharytonova, N. M., Lozova, T. M. (2020). Research of the impact of the highway on wildlife safety and ways to solve it. [oslidzhennya vplyvu avtomobilʹnoyi dorohy na bezpeku dykoyi pryrody ta shlyakhy yiyi vyrishennya]. Roads and bridges, 21, 77-85. [in Ukrainian]
12. Shapovalov, A. L., Bondar, T. V. (2011). Rationale for the organization of biotransitions for animals. [Obgruntuvannya orhanizatsiyi bioperekhodiv dlya tvaryn]. Bulletin of Kharkiv National Automobile and Road University. Kharkiv, 52, 182-185. [in Ukrainian]