© Olga Sabanska, NTU graduate student, Head European Integration Division, ORCID: 0000-0003-0593-5959, e-mail:email@example.com (AsMAP Ukraine)
ASPECTS OF SAFE AND SECURE TRUCK PARKING AREAS DEVELOPMENT IN EUROPE AND THEIR IMPACT ON ROAD SAFETY AND FOLLOVING THE SOCIAL CONDITIONS
Abstarct. The current situation is considered on the development of safe and secure parking areas for trucks in Europe. The reports of the International Road Transport Union were analyzed on the European Union-funded project on Safe and secure truck parking areas for trucks in Europe and a final report on the study of safe and secure places for truck parking in the EU. The analysis of European regulations is carried out on road infrastructure safety management, specification of truck parking zones, rules of working time and rest of the driver, as well as Ukrainian legislation on these issues. With a view to provide a consistent definition of secure truck parking areas and a quality framework, an EU-wide rating system and security and service at SSTPAs has been defined during the study that included participation by all key stakeholders within the road transport and logistics sector. This rating system should now be implemented as a standard by a newly created EU expert group. The quality of the entire system and of the individual secure truck parking areas shall be guaranteed by ensuring that independent third party audits will occur for all secure truck parking areas within the system. In the future this quality system could also link to ITS solutions for the road transport sector. The implementing the study results in both existing truck parking areas and in new truck parking areas and thereby increasing the number of available secure parking areas throughout Europe, there is a strong probability that cargo crime and incident rates will be reduced significantly and that the security and well-being of truck drivers will be improved, thereby benefitting road safety as well. Recommendations for possible measures to improve the legislation of Ukraine are provided in terms of establishing the SSTPA in view of the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement provisions.
Keywords: road safety, freight road transport, Safe and secure truck parking areas (SSTPA), EU Mobility package, driving and rest time rules of driver, Ukraine – EU Association Agreement.
1. International Road Union. . EN. IRU Commission on Social Affairs CAS/BR6053/OKA Brussels, 2018. Safe and secure truck parking areas in Europe. Retrieved from https://www.iru.org/
2. EC . EN. European Commission`s Study on Safe and Secure Parking Places for Trucks. Written by: Rob de Leeuw van Weenen, Sean Newton, Menno Menist (Panteia), etc. Brussels, 2019. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/2019-study-on-safe-and-secure-parking-places-for-trucks.pdf
3. EC. . EN. Directive 2008/96/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 November 2008 on road infrastructure safety management. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/dir/2008/96/oj
4. EC. . EN. Directive 2010/40/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 7 July 2010 on the framework for the deployment of Intelligent Transport Systems in the field of road transport and for interfaces with other modes of transport. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/dir/2010/40/oj
5. EC. . EN. Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 March 2006 on the harmonization of certain social legislation relating to road transport and amending Council Regulations (EEC) No 3821/85 and (EC) No 2135/98 and repealing Council Regulation (EEC) No 3820/85. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg/2006/561/oj
6. EU. . EN. European Commission. Mobility Package I on road transport – Declaration by the Commission 2020. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32020C0731%2801%29
7. EU. . EN. Regulation (EU) 2020/1054 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 July 2020 amending Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 as regards minimum requirements on maximum daily and weekly driving times, minimum breaks and daily and weekly rest periods and Regulation (EU) No 165/2014 as regards positioning by means of tachographs. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg/2020/1054/oj
8. Association Agreement between the European Union and its Member States, of the one part, and Ukraine, of the other part. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:22014A0529(01)&from=EN