© Yuriy Hostev, Head of the Department; e-mail: email@example.com, ORCID: 0000-0002-0351-9591;
© Tetyana Kostrulova, Lead Engineer; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, ORCID: 0000-0002-9554-1285
(Road Equipment Department M. P. Shulgin State Road Research Institute State Enterprise);
© Maksym Goshva, Junior Researcher; e-mail: email@example.com
REQUIREMENTS, CONTROL AND QUALITY CONTROL OF ROAD SIGNS ON THE ROADS OF UKRAINE
Abstract. Road signs form the framework of the driver’s decision making system in the process of driving the vehicle, in the places of confluence, separation and intersection of traffic and pedestrian flows. The most important thing in road signs is their brightness and retroflection at night; signs should have clear feedback. The more fully and clearly the driver is informed about the conditions and the necessary modes of traffic, the more accurate and error-free are his actions.
Based on the results of the analysis of road accident statistics, most accidents occur due to the driver’s inability to adequately assess the situation under conditions of insufficient visibility of road markings, signs and inadequate lighting.
According to the research results, it is established that improvement of visibility of road markings and signs can provide accident rate reduction on 10-30%.
Statistics show that about 27% of road accidents are due to driver inattention or loss of concentration. In Ukraine, almost no such studies are conducted, but according to the traffic police, 50% of road accidents in the city are also caused by fatigue or loss of concentration of drivers.
The actual task to level out the above factors is to use quality and informative road signs that will draw the driver’s attention to the elements of road situation (the presence of pedestrian crossings, possible complications of traffic conditions, the trajectory of their own vehicle, etc.).
The article presents the requirements for road signs of different countries and compares them with domestic requirements.
The results of field research of road signs on the road of national importance M-05 Kyiv – Odesa for 2018 are presented. The analysis of the obtained indicators of the quality of road signs allows determining the main inconsistencies with the regulations and possible causes of the inconsistency. The obtained data were also used to develop amendments for the existing regulations.
The principles of road signs monitoring on roads in the USA were considered.
Keywords: visibility, road sign, contrast, color coordinates and brightness.
1. Gusev, S. A., Vasilev, D. A., Kotova, V. S. (2018). Dorozhnye znaki umen’shennyh tiporazmerov v sisteme obespechenija bezopasnosti dorozhnogo dvizhenija. [Road signs reduced sizes in the system to ensure road safety]. Tehnicheskoe regulirovanie v transportnom stroitel’stve, 1, 27.
2. Majid, Khalilikhah, Kevin, Heaslip. (2016). The effects of damage on sign visibility: An assist in traffic sign replacement. Arlington, Journal of traffic and transportation engineering, 3, 6, 571-581.
3. Majid, Khalilikhah, Kevin, Heaslip, ZiqiSong. (2015). Can daytime digital imaging be used for traffic sign retroreflectivity compliance. Netherlands, Measurement, 75, 147-160. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2015.07.049.
4. Kormilicyna, L. V., Durov, G. R. (2017). Vlijanie dorozhnyh znakov i razmetki na bezopasnost’ dorozhnogo dvizhenija. [Influence of road signs and markings on road safety]. Habarovsk, Dal’nij Vostok. Avtomobil’nye dorogi i bezopasnost’ dvizhenija. Mezhdunarodnyj sbornik nauchnyh trudo, 188-191.
5. Marchenko, Je. V., Skudina, A. A. (2017). Vlijanie vidimosti dorozhnoj razmetki i znakov na bezopasnost’ dvizhenija. [The impact of visibility of road markings and signs on traffic safety]. Kemerovo, Sbornik materialov II Mezhdunarodnoj nauchno-prakticheskoj konferencii, 189-192.
6. Chiung-Yao, Fang, Sei-Wang, Chen, Chiou-Shann, Fuh. (2003). Road-sign detection and tracking. Japan, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 52, 5, 1329–1341. DOI: 10.1109/tvt.2003.810999.
7. Morozov, D. A. (2015). Vysokojeffektivnyj poisk i analiz dorozhnyh znakov. [Highly effective search and analysis of road signs]. ScienceRise. Ukraine. 12/2, 17,. 32-36. DOI: 10.15587/2313-8416.2015.56338.
8. Minekonomrozvitku Ukrayini. (2015). Bezpeka dorozhnogo rukhu. Znaki dorozhni. Zagalni tekhnichni umovi. Pravila zastosuvannya: DSTU 4100:2014. [Road safety. Road signs. General technical conditions. Rules of application: DSTU 4100:2014]. Kyiv, 109, National Standart of Ukraine.
9. Gosstandart. (2014). Tekhnicheskie sredstva organizaczii dorozhnogo dvizheniya. Znaki dorozhnye. Obshhie tekhnicheskie usloviya: STB 1140-2013. [Technical means of traffic management. Traffic signs. General specifications: STB 1140-2013]. Minsk, 123, State standard of the Republic of Belarus.
10. German standard. (2013). Retroreflective materials for traffic safety. Minimum lighting requirements for reeflex fabrics: DIN 67520:2013-10. Berlin, 19.
11. European standart. (2004). Technical Delivery Conditions for Vertical Traffic Signs: TL-VZ 2004, 26.
12. British standart. (2007). Fixed, vertical road traffic signs. Fixed signs: BS EN 12899-1:2007, 72.
13. European standart. (2007). Fixed, vertical road traffic signs – Part 1: Fixed signs: EN 12899-1:2007, 72.
14. Nurmukhametov, R. N., Volkova, L. V., Kunavin, N. I., Klimenko, V. G. (2007). Primenenie lyuminesczentnykh materialov dlya dorozhny`kh znakov i razmetok. [The use of luminescent materials for road signs and markings]. Moskva, Izvestiya MGTU «MAMI», 2, 4, 199-203.
15. Christopher Bauer. (2010). All of the signs. Municipalities must be ready
to inspect entire inventory. SAFETY TODAY. 24-26. Retrieved from https://www.roadsbridges.com/all-signs