© Tatiana Tereshchenko, PhD, Senior Research Officer, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, ORCID: 0000-0001-7584-9031;
© Serhii Illiash, Chief of Department, e-mail: email@example.com, ORCID: 0000-0002-3001-8012
(N.P. Shulgin State Road Research Institute State Enterprise)
STANDARDIZATION OF REQUIREMENTS FOR MATERIALS AND PROCESSES FOR CONSTRUCTION OF ROAD PAVEMENT LAYERS STRENGTHENED BY COMPLEX BINDER
Abstract. This paper presents some results of a research supported by the State Road Agency of Ukraine and dealt with the tandardization of materials and processes for construction of the binder-strengthened layers of road pavements from granular materials treated by bituminous binder and cement at the factory or mixed insitu. Investigation of relationship between bound mixtures composition and properties showed the dependence of proportion of binder components on the mixture grading and on the required strength where the bituminous binder proportion should be higher when using granular materials with more fines or designing mixtures for the upper layers but cement proportion should be higher when requiring higher strength. Specifications elaborated using these results were proved by testing plant-produced mixture that was used to replace the cold recycling. Requirements elaborated for construction of road layer from granular mixtures treated by complex binder were divided as requirements for processes using plant or in-situ techniques and consist of the requirements for technological operations on preparative works, transporting, laying, compaction and curing. Appling the obtained results, the State Road Research Institute State Enterprise (DerzhdorNDI SE) elaborated the Amendment № 1 DSTU-N B V.2.3-39:2016 “Guide on construction of road pavement coursesfrom stone materials”. Elaborated normative document widens the nomenclature of road materials and technologies for construction of strengthened layers of road pavements and should be implemented when building the new road pavement construction or when the enhancement of bearing capacity of an existing road pavement is required.
Keywords: granular material bound by complex binder, binder-strengthened layers of road pavement, requirements for construction.
1. Dunn, L., and Cross, S. (2001). Basic Asphalt Recycling Manual, 1st Edition. US Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration; Asphalt Recycling and Reclaiming Association. 77. Retrieved September 13, 2018 from http://www.dot.state.mn.us/materials/pvmtdesign/docs/BasicAsphaltRecyclingManual.pdf
2. Hartman, M., Turos, M., Ghosh, D., and Marasteanu, M. (2016). Full Depth Reclamation (FDR) for Suburban/Urban and Local Roads Application. Minnesota Department of Transportation, Research Project Final Report No MN/RC 2016-37, 103. Retrieved January 28, 2020 from https://www.state.mn.us/research/TS/2016/201637.pdf
3. Schwartz, C. W., Diefenderfer, B. K., and Bowers, B. F. (2017). Material Properties of Cold In-Place Recycled and Full-Depth Reclamation Asphalt Concrete, NCHRP (National Cooperative Highway Research Program) Research Report 863. Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, 83. Retrieved March 22, 2018 from http://nap.edu/24902
4. Bleakley, A. M., and Cosentino, P. (2013). Improving Properties of Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement for Roadway Base Application through Blending and Chemical Stabilization. Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 18. Retrieved January 29, 2020 from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/270209060
5. Naukova rada Ukravtodoru. (2017). Rekomendatsiyi z pidboru skladu ta zastosuvannya shchebenevo-pishchanykh sumishey, obroblenykh kompleksnym bitumomineral’nym v’yazhuchym. R V.2.7-37641918-880:2017. [Recommendations on selection of composition and application of crushed stone/sandy mixes treated by complex bitumen-mineral binder]. Oficijny`j document derzhavnogo agentstva avtomobil`ny`x dorig Ukrayiny` [Official document of the State Road Agency of Ukraine],
6. Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine. (2016). Grunty, ukripleni v”yazhuchym. Metody vyprobuvan’: DSTU B V.2.7-309:2016. Nacional`ny`j standart Ukrayiny` [Binder-strengthened soils. Test methods. DSTU B V.2.7-309:2016. National standard of Ukraine]. Kyiv, 30.
7. Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine (2015) Sumishi bitumomineral’ni dorozhni. Metody vyprobuvan’: DSTU B V.2.7-306:2015. Nacional`ny`j standart Ukrayiny` [Road bituminous mixes. Test methods. DSTU B V.2.7-306:2015. National standard of Ukraine]. Kyiv, 40.
8. State Standard Organization of Ukraine. (2001). Bitumy naftovi dorozhni v”yazki. Tekhnichni umovy. DSTU 4044-2001. Nacional`ny`j standart Ukrayiny` [Viscous petroleum road bitumens. Specifications. DSTU 4044-2001. National standard of Ukraine]. Kyiv, 14.
9. Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine. (2014). Emul’siyi bitumni dorozhni. Tekhnichni umovy: DSTU B V.2.7-129:2014. Nacional`ny`j standart Ukrayiny` [Bituminous road emulsions. Specifications. DSTU B V.2.7-129:2014. National standard of Ukraine]. Kyiv, 27.
10. Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine. (2016). Tsement. Chastyna 1. Sklad, tekhnichni umovy ta kryteriyi vidpovidnosti dlya zvychaynykh tsementiv: DSTU B EN 197-1:2015 (EN 197-1:2011, IDT). Nacional`ny`j standart Ukrayiny` [Cement. Part 1: Composition, Specifications and conformity criteria for common cements. DSTU B EN 197-1:2015 (EN 197-1:2011, IDT). National standard of Ukraine]. Kyiv, 59.
11 Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine. (2010). Osnovy ta pidvalyny budynkiv i sporud. Grunty. Metod laboratornoho vyznachennya maksymal’noyi shchil’nosti.: DSTU B V.2.1-12:2009. Nacional`ny`j standart Ukrayiny` [Bases and foundations of building and structures. Soils. Method for laboratory determination of maximum density. DSTU B V.2.1-12:2009. National standard of Ukraine]. Kyiv, 16.
12. Naukova rada Ukravtodoru. (2004). Tekhnolohichna karta na reheneratsiyu konstruktyvnoho sharu dorozhn’oho odyahu tovshchynoyu 18 sm z zastosuvannyam bitumnoyi emul’siyi (vmist emul’siyi 3% vid masy) ta tsementno-vodnoyi suspenziyi (vmist tsementu 1,5% vid masy) za tekhnolohiyeyu “kholodnyy resayklinh”, mashynoyu resaykler WR 2500 u skladi iz zmishuval’noyu ustanovkoyu WM 1000 ta bitumovozom. ТC 218-03449261-026-WR 2500 (7)-2004. [Technological Chart on recycling of a road pavement lift of a 18 cm thickness using bitumen emulsion (in a proportion of 3 % by mass) and cement-water suspension (with proportion of cement of 1,5 % by mass) via cold recycling technology using recycler WR 2500 combined with a mixing plant WM 1000 and a truck for bitumen]. Oficijny`j document derzhavnogo agentstva avtomobil`ny`x dorig Ukrayiny` [Official document of the State Road Agency of Ukraine]. Kyiv, 17.