Volodymyr Kaskiv, PhD, Associate Professor, First Deputy Director for Research, e-mail: email@example.com, ORCID: 0000-0002-8074-6798 (SE “N.P. Shulgin State Road Research Institute”);
Andrii Vozniuk, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, ORCID: 0000-0002-7611-9652 (Ukravtodor);
Liudmyla Nahrebelna, Reasercher, e-mail: email@example.com, ORCID: 0000-0002-5615-9075 (SE “N.P. Shulgin State Road Research Institute”)
TOWARDS ROAD SAFETY AUDIT ON ROAD NETWORK OF UKRAINE
Abstract. The key role in the implementation of the state transport strategy is played by the development of transport infrastructure, the most important component of which is the road network. The compliance of highways with the requirements of modern traffic flows determines not only the efficiency of industry and agriculture, but also ensuring the proper standard of living of people and the state defense capability.
Problems of efficient functioning of public roads, urban roads and streets of Ukraine are outlined. The main provisions for the road safety audit are outlined.
Road safety audits are proven to be one of the most effective engineering tools that affect road safety. The main benefit of road safety audit is the detailed assessment of the road safety design solutions at all stages of design.
The purpose of a road safety audit is to answer the following questions:
– what road elements could pose a threat to road users: to what extent, to what road users and under what circumstances;
– what opportunities exist to eliminate or reduce the impact of identified threats on traffic safety.
The earlier an audit is carried out in the design and construction processes, the better and more useful the results are. Carrying out an audit in the early stages can help eliminate problems early and, as a consequence, minimize the time and cost of redesigning in the subsequent stages.
In addition, it should be noted that conducting an audit leads to intensive negotiations between the auditors, the customer and the designer. Such negotiations are useful for raising awareness of all stakeholders, as well as for improving day-to-day work, design procedures and will be useful for updating building standards or norms.
The questions of improvement of methods of calculation of safe speed of movement, development of algorithms of multivariate analysis of conditions of movement, identification of potentially dangerous sites and identification of causes of danger are considered.
A mechanism is provided that can significantly accelerate such an audit, effectively utilize human, time and financial resources.
Keywords: audit, algorithm, traffic safety, road, method, model, speed.
1. European Parliament. (2008). Directive 2008/96/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 November 2008 on road infrastructure safety management. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX%3A32008L0096. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-137-54482-7_45
2. Zakon Ukrainy publ. (17 October, 2019). Pro vnesennya zmin do deyakykh zakoniv Ukrainy schodo upravlinnya bezpekoyu avtomobilnykh dorig [On Road safety management: Ukrainian law] Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy, 2019, 50, 357.
3. Drew, D. (1972). The theory of traffic flow and management. Translated from English. Moscow, USSR, Transport.
4. Haight, F. (1966). Haight mathematical theory of traffic flow. Translated from English. Moscow, USSR, Mir, 1966, 286.
5. Gukov, N. I. Issledovanie sootvetstvia dorognikh usloviy trebovaniyam transportnogo potoka Candidate Of Science, Diss [Study of the compliance of road conditions with traffic requirements]. Kyiv, 1979.
6. Polishchuk, V. P., Dziuba, O. P. (2008). Teoriia transportnoho potoku: metody ta modeli orhanizatsii dorozhnoho rukhu. Kyiv, Znannia Ukrainy, 2008, 175.
7. Smirnova, N. V. Metodologiya tselevogo poiska optimalnogo proeknogo resheniya dvukhpolosnikh avtomobilnikh dorog obschego polzovaniya. Dokt, Diss [Methodology of targeted search for the optimal design solution for two-lane public roads]. Kharkiv, 2015.
8. Lanovyi, O. T. Teoretychni osnovy ta praktychni metody zabezpechennya umov bezperervnogo ta zruchnogo rukhu transportnykh potokiv meregeyu avtomobilnykh dorig Dokt, Diss [Theoretical foundations and practical methods of ensuring the conditions of continuous, safe and convenient traffic flows on the road network]. Kyiv, 2016.
9. Sugrue, Thomas J. The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit. Princeton University Press, 2005, 47–49.DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/9781400851218
10. How London got rid of private cars – and grew more congested than ever. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/11/how-london-got-rid-of-private-cars-and-grew-more-congested-than-ever
11. Polishchuk, V. P., Nagrebelna, L. P. (2019). Problemy sychasnogo mista [Problems of the modern city]. Kyiv, Visnyk NTU, 3, 43, 2019, 136–142.
12. PIARC Technical committee C3.1 Road safety, 2011R01. (2011). Road safety audit guidelines for safety checks on new road projects.
13. SE “DerzhdorNDI”. (2017). МР В.2.3-37641918-891:2017 Metodychni rekomendatsiyi shchodo otsinyuvannya vidpovidnosti isnuyuchykh dorozhnikh umov vymoham bezpeky rukhu z urakhuvannyam intensyvnosti rukhu ta skladu transportnykh potokiv [Guidelines for evaluation of the existing road conditions compliance with traffic safety requirements, taking into account the traffic intensity and traffic flows]. Kyiv, Ukraine.
14. Vozniuk, A. B. (2019). Ispol’zovaniye geoprostranstvennykh dannyakh dlya audita bezopasnosti dorozhnogo dvizheniya [Using geospatial data for road safety audit]. Kyiv, Roads and bridges, 1, 23, 63–71.
15. SE “DerzhdorNDI”. (2016). SOU 42.1-37641918-038:2016 Pasport avtomobilnoyi dorohy [Enterprise standard. Road passport]. Kyiv, Ukraine.