Liydmila Nagrebelna, Researcher, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, ORCID: 0000-0002-5615-9075;
Olga Belenchuk, Researcher, e-mail: email@example.com, ORCID: 0000-0003-0525-0546;
Oleksii Petrashenko, Junior Researcher, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, ORCID: 0000-0003-1641-5115
(Road Safety Division, M. P. Shulgin State Road Research Institute State Enterprise)
EFFECTIVE APPROACH TO DETECTING ROADS FOR PRIORITY PLANNING FOR ROAD SAFETY MEASURES
Abstract. The basic approaches for identifying dangerous road sections for prioritizing road safety measures are outlined. The effectiveness of the result depends on how well the areas where the road safety measures need to be implemented are identified. Suggestions for identifying dangerous places on the roads according to the statistics of traffic accidents using the methods of probability theory are given. On the basis of the analysis of statistics on roads with different number of adventures, limit values of the admissible number of adventures on sections of roads of different length are established.
It is proved that it is necessary to create a comprehensive approach to solving a complex problem – improving road safety. Оne of the important approaches for the definition of dangerous road sections according to the data of road accidents, which is proposed by the authors, is the method of detection of sections (places) of concentration of road accidents (black spots).
The purpose of this article is to: introduce an approach in road safety management to reduce the number of road accidents and the severity of their consequences on Ukraine’s highways by first implementing measures to improve road conditions and improve road organization. The effectiveness of the result in reducing the number of traffic accidents depends on the areas so clearly identified that, in the first place, it is necessary to implement measures to improve road safety. That is why this approach was introduced in traffic safety management.
The purposeful financing of measures, aimed primarily at eliminating such sites, will help to reduce the number of road accidents and the severity of their consequences.
Keywords: road safety, methods of analysis, dangerous road sections, place of concentration of road accidents, black spots, road accident.
1. Polishchuk V.P. NahrebelnaL.P. (2016). Analiz faktoriv, shcho sprychyniaiut DTP na avtomobilnykh dorohakh zahalnoho korystuvannia ta propozytsii po yikh likvidatsii [Analysis of the factors causing road accidents on public roads and suggestions for their elimination]. Dorohy i mosti, 16, 82–85.
2. UN General Assembly. (2004). Rezolyutsiya Heneral’noyi Asambleyi OON 58/289 vid 14.04. 2004 roku «Povyshenie bezopasnosti dorozhnoho dvizhenyya vo vsem mire». [UN General Assembly resolution 58/289 of 14.04. 2004 “Improving Road Safety Around the World”]. UN Databas. Retrieved from https://undocs.org/ru/A/RES/58/289 [in Russian].
3. Kuzhel, V. P. (2008). Otsinka dalnosti vydymosti dorozhnikh obiektiv u temnu poru doby pry ekspertyzi DTP za dopomohoiu nechitkoi lohiky [Estimation of the range of visibility of road objects in the dark time of the day in the examination of road accidents using fuzzy logic].
Vestnik Harʹkovskogo nacionalʹnogo avtomobilʹno-dorožnogo universiteta 41, 91–5.
4. Polishchuk, V. P., Kutuzov, A. Ye. (2013). Do pytannia upravlinnia bezpekoiu rukhu na avtomobilnykh dorohakh zahalnoho korystuvannia rehionu, [On the issue of traffic safety management on public highways in the region].Vìsnik Nacìonalʹnogo transportnogo unìversitetu, 28, 380–385.
5. Bondar, T. V. (2010). Analiz prychyn vynyknennia avariinosti – shliakh do obgruntovanoho planuvannia zakhodiv z pidvyshchennia bezpeky rukhu. [ Analysis of the causes of an accident is the way to a sound planning of measures to improve traffic safety]. Avtošlâhovik Ukraïni, 4, 45–46.
6. Nahrebelna, L. P. (2019). Liniinyi analiz – naikrashchyi metod vyiavlennia nebezpechnykh dilianok dorih. [Linear analysis as the best method of detectiondangerous road sections]. Avtošlâhovik Ukraïni, 2, 50–56.
7. Polishchuk, V. P. (2011). Orhanizatsiia ta rehuliuvannia dorozhnoho rukhu. [Organization and regulation of traffic]. Znannia Ukrainy, 467. [in Ukrainian].
8. SE “DerzhdorNDI”. (2008). SOU45.2-00018112-007 A 2008 Safety Of Travelling Motion. Highways of the General use. Order of Determination of Areas and Places of Concentration of Road and Transportation Adventures is on the Roads of the General use. [in Ukrainian].
9. TRACECA Program. (2015). Technical Note. 3. Regional Recommendations for the Management of Accident Concentration Places. TRACECA Regional Road Safety Action Plan. Safety team. March 2015, 124. Retrieved from http://www.traceca-org.org/fileadmin/fm-dam/TAREP/70ta/TRACECA_Documents/TRACECA_Inception_Report_Rus_04092014_AR_Final_1__02.pdf [in Russian]. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17233//se.96735