Yuriy Hostev, Head of the Department; e-mail: email@example.com, ORCID: 0000-0002-0351-9591;
Lev Rumiantsev, Senior Researcher; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, ORCID: 0000-0001-5785-3600;
Tetyana Kostrulova, Lead Engineer; e-mail: email@example.com, ORCID: 0000-0002-9554-1285
(Road Equipment Department M. P. Shulgin State Road Research Institute State Enterprise)
THE INFLUENCE OF THE TYPE, STRUCTURE AND CONDITION OF ROAD COATING ON THE OPERATING PROPERTIES OF HORIZONTAL ROAD MARKING
Abstract. The factors that influence on functional durability of the road marking, in particular, the type, quality, condition and surface structure of the road surface are considered in the article. The durability of the road marking will be significantly reduced on asphalt pavement with low quality bitumen or with a high content of bitumen in the mixture. As a result of bitumen fogging, the road marking loses its performance, especially affecting luminance and retroreflectivity.
The degree of pavement wear also affects the durability. Old, fragile pavement is unable to retain the road marking for a long time, so its service life will be extremely low.
The wear of road marking on the cement pavement is higher than on the asphalt pavement. This is due to the peculiarities of the interaction of pavements of different chemical nature with the road marking materials.
The article presents the results of studies of the effect of pavement with different roughness and different types on the properties of retroreflectivity. It is established that on the road sections with pavement having a rough surface treatment, retroreflectivity is reduced by 2-3 times in comparison with the asphalt pavement with a smooth surface. Also, the results of the studies showed that the wear of the road marking lines on the surface with high roughness after 3 months of operation is almost 2 times higher than the degree of road marking wear on the smooth surface.
On cement pavement the decrease of retroreflectivity occurs more intensively during the first months of operation. The areas with cement pavement wear faster than on those with smooth asphalt pavement, but not as intensively as the areas with surface treatment.
To ensure the durability of road marking on asphalt pavement with treated surface treatment and of cement pavement in comparison with the road marking on asphalt pavement with natural roughness, it is necessary to give preference to the road marking materials with higher viscosity (cold and hot plastics) or increase application of paint amount by 50-60 %, as well as increase the specific use of glass beads and of bigger fractions.
Keywords: road marking, wear, surface treatment, retroreflectivity, paint, roughness.
1. Sedov, A. V., Grishhenko, T. M. (2005). Povyshenie effektivnosti gorizontalnoj dorozhnoj razmetki. [Improving the efficiency of horizontal road marking]. Kharkiv, Vestnik Kharkovskogo naczionalnogo avtomobilno-dorozhnogo universiteta, 31, 1–3.
2. Evteeva, S. M. (2011). Srok sluzhby gorizontalnoj dorozhnoj razmetki na asfaltobetonnykh pokrytiyakh s sherokhovatoj poverkhnostnoj obrabotkoj. [Working life of the horizontal traffic sign in asphalt coats with the chilled surface dressing]. Volgograd, Vestnik VolgGASU, 21 (40), 67–71.
3. Golubenko, V. V., Aleksandrov, A. S., Sirotyuk, V. V. (2018). Analiz metodov prognozirovaniya funkczionalnoj dolgovechnosti dorozhnoj razmetki. [Analysis of methods for predicting the functional durability of road markings]. Omsk, Vesnik SibADI, 4, 574–587. https://doi.org/10.26518/2071-7296-2018-4-574-587
4. Bochkarev, V. (2005). Plyus” i “minus” dorozhnoy razmetki na poverkhnostnoy obrabotke. [“Plus” and “minus” road markings on surface treatment] . Moscow, Avtomobil’nyye dorogi, 4, 19-21.
5. Archibasov, I. A. (2008). Dinamika svetovozvrashcheniya na ShPO. [The dynamics of retroreflectivity on the ShPO]. Moscow, Avtomobil’nyye dorogi, 4, 125–126.
6. Abakumov, G. V., Kvasova, M. R. (2014). Issledovanie effektivnosti razmetki proezzhej chasti // [Roadway Marking Efficiency Study]. Tyumen, Sbornik trudov konferenczii TyumGNGU, 7–12.
7. Derzhstandart Ukrayiny. (2010). Bezpeka dorozhnogo ruhu. Rozmitka dorozhnya. Zagalni tehnichni vimogi. Metodi kontrolyuvannya: DSTU 2587:2010. [Road safety. Road markings. General technical requirements. Methods of control. Application rules: DSTU 2587:2010]. Kyiv, 59, National Standart of Ukraine.
8. Derzhstandart Ukrayiny. (1997). Bezpeka dorozhnogo ruhu. Avtomobilni dorogi, vuliczi ta zaliznichni pereyizdi. Vimogi do ekspluataczijnogo stanu: DSTU 3587-97. [Road traffic safety. Automobile roads, streets and railway crossings. The requirements to operation condition: DSTU 3587-97]. Kyiv, 24, National Standart of Ukraine.
9. Aleksandrov, A. S., Golubenko, V. V. (2002). Prognozirovanie iznosa dorozhnoj razmetki na sherokhovatykh pokrytiyakh. [Prediction of wear of road markings on rough surfaces]. Omsk, Sbornik trudov konferenczii SibADI, 9–17.