Ivan Kopynets, Head of Department, ORCID: 0000-0002-0908-4795;
Oleksii Sokolov, Head of Laboratory,ORCID: 0000-0002-4694-9647;
Оksana Sokolova, Junior Researcher, ORCID: 0000-0003-4202-8661;
Yunak Alina, Junior Researcher, ORCID: 0000-0002-5294-5554
(e-mail: email@example.com; Bituminous Binder and Asphalt Department of M. P. Shulgin State Road Research Institute State Enterprise)
INVESTIGATING THE POSSIBILITY OF USING THE NATURAL BITUMEN OF GILSONITE TYPE FOR THE PRODUCTION OF ROAD BITUMEN
Abstract. The heavy traffic combined with the adverse weather and climate factors which are characteristic for most of the year, makes high demands for asphalt concrete. The quality of asphalt concrete is largely determined by the properties of bitumen which plays the role of a binder which provides the formation of a monolithic composite road-building material from separate mineral grains.
Compound bitumen obtained by mixing the peroxidized bitumen with tar have the best ratio of all physico-chemical indicators, it is also possible the option to compound residual bitumen with oxidized. Oxidized bitumen obtained by the oxidation of tar or a mixture of tar with other petroleum products is characterized by low cohesive strength, poor adhesion and considerable aging.
The use of natural bitumen of gilsonite type is the most common method to improve the properties of bitumen. When introducing into the bitumen of this natural bitumen, its penetration at a temperature of 25° C is reduced, as well as the softening point is increased. In fact, the nature of the change in the properties of bitumen during introduction of natural bitumen is the same as during its oxidation. That is, natural bitumen can be used to produce road bitumen by compounding it with tar.
This paper presents the results of bitumen research obtained by combining tar with natural bitumen of gilsonite type. The production of bitumen by combining tar with natural bitumen of gilsonite type allows obtaining different grades of road bitumen by changing the content of natural bitumen. Bitumen obtained by this technology is more heat- and crack-resistant, have high adhesion to the aggregates and are not subjected to the technological aging. This bitumen has a higher softening point and a lower Fraass breaking point and therefore a higher plasticity interval.
Keywords: bitumen, production, equiviscous temperatures, natural bitumen, mixing.
1. Artem, Bezuglіy, Sergey, Illyasch, Vladimir, Zelenovskii, Taras, Pechonchyk & Bohdan, Stasiuk. (2017). Improvement of the system of maintenance of the network of highways of general use in Ukraine. Dorogi і mosti [Roads and bridges]. Kyiv, 17, 14–26 [in Ukrainian].
2. Sergii, Kischynsky, Lyubov, Kyrychenko, Alina, Yunak, Ivan, Kopynets & Iryna, Hudyma. (2014). Monitoring the quality of bitumen used in road construction. Dorogi і mosti [Roads and bridges]. Kyiv, 14, 76–84 [in Ukrainian].
3. Victor, Zolotaryov & Yan, Pyrig. (2018). Standardization of oil paving viscous bitumen in Ukraine. Dorogi і mosti [Roads and bridges]. Kyiv, 18, 91–106 [in Russia]. DOI: https://doi.org/10.36100/dorogimosti2018.18.091
4. Serhii, Kishchynskyi, Lyubov, Kyrychenko & Ivan, Kopynets. (2010). Influence of natural bitumen on bitumen and asphalt concrete properties. Dorogi і mosti [Roads and bridges]. Kyiv, 12, 63–73 [in Ukrainian].
5. Siyab, Houshmandi, Khanghahi & Ahmet, Tortum. (2019). Examination of the Possibility of Using Gilsonite in Hot Mix Asphalt Concrete. Jordan Journal of Civil Engineering, 13, 1, 136–148. [in English].
6. Yalçın, E., Ertuğrul Çeloğlu, M., Akpolat, M., Yamaç, Ö. E., Alataş, T., Kök, B. V., Yılmaz, M. (2019). Effect of Gilsonite Use on Storage Stability of Styrene-butadiene-styrene Modified Bitumen. Periodica Polytechnica Civil Engineering, 63, 3, 833–844, https://doi.org/10.3311/PPci.12816. [in English].
7. Jahanian, H.R., Shafabakhsh, Gh., Divandari, H. (2017). Performance evaluation of Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) containing bitumen modified with Gilsonite. Constr Build Mater, 131, 156–64, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.11.069 [in English].
8. M., Ameri, D., Mirzaiyan, A., Amini. (2018). Rutting resistance and fatigue behavior of gilsonite-modified asphalt binders, J. Mater. Civ. Eng., 30, 11, 04018292 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0002468
9. A., Akbari, Nasrekani et al. (2017). Improving Moisture Sensitivity of Asphalt Concrete Using Natural Bitumen (Gilsonite). [in English].
10. National standard of Ukraine. (2001). DSTU 4044-2001 Viscous petroleum road bitumens. Specifications. Kyiv, 15. [in Ukrainian].
11. ASTM International. (January 12, 2016). ASTM D2493 / D2493M – 16 Standard Practice for Viscosity-Temperature Chart for Asphalt Binders. STANDARD by ASTM International, 5.
12. National standard of Ukraine. (2011). DSTU B V 119-2011 Asphaltic concrete mixtures, road and aerodromes asphaltic concrete. Specifications. Kyiv, 49. [in Ukrainian].
13. National standard of Ukraine. (2019). DSTU EN 1426:2018 (EN 1426:2015, IDT) Bitumen and bituminous binders. Determination of needle penetration. Kyiv, 14 [in Ukrainian].
14. National standard of Ukraine. (2019). DSTU EN 1427:2018 (EN 1427:2015, IDT) Bitumen and bituminous binders. Determination of softening point by ring and ball method. Kyiv, 20. [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.3403/30138275
15. Moscow. (1975). GOST 11505-75 Petroleum bitumens. Method for determination of ductility, 2. [in Russia].
16. National standard of Ukraine. (2019). DSTU EN 12593:2018 (EN 1427:2015, IDT) Bitumen and bituminous binders. Determination of the Fraass breaking point. Kyiv, 18. [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.3403/30255323
17. National standard of Ukraine. (2019). DSTU 8787-2018 Bitumen and bituminous binders. Determination of adhesion with crushed stone. Kyiv, 11. [in Ukrainian].
18. National standard of Ukraine. (2016). DSTU B EN 12607-1:2015 Bitumen and bituminous binders. Determination of the resistance to hardening under influence of heat and air. Part 1: RTFOT method. Kyiv, 23. [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.3403/30255329