Serhii Kovalov, Candidate of Technical Sciences (Ph.D.), Senior Research Officer, SE «State Road Transport Research Institute», e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: 0000-0002-3107-530X
DEVELOPMENT OF THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER OF GAS ENGINE,
CONVERTED ON THE BASIS OF DIESELS D-120 OR D-144 ENGINES TO WORK FOR ON LIQUEFIED PETROLEUM GAS
Abstract. The expediency of using vehicles of liquefied petroleum gas as a motor fuel, as com-pared with traditional liquid motor fuels, in particular with diesel fuel, is shown. The advantages of converting diesel engines into gas ICEs with forced ignition with respect to conversion into gas diesel engines are substantiated. The analysis of methods for reducing the compression ratio in diesel engines when converting them into gas ICEs with forced ignition has been carried out. It is shown that for converting diesel engines into gas ICEs with forced ignition, it is advisable to use the Otto thermo-dynamic cycle with a decrease in the geometric degree of compression. The choice is grounded and an open combustion chamber in the form of an inverted axisymmetric “truncated cone” is developed. The proposed shape of the combustion chamber of a gas internal combustion engine for operation in the LPG reduces the geometric compression ratio of D-120 and D-144 diesel engines with an unseparated spherical combustion chamber, which reduces the geometric compression ratio from ε = 16,5 to ε = 9,4. The developed form of the combustion chamber allows the new diesel pistons or diesel pistons which are in operation to be in operation to be refined, instead of making special new gas pistons and to reduce the geometric compression ratio of diesel engines only by increasing the combustion chamber volume in the piston. This method of reducing the geometric degree of compression using conventional lathes is the most technologically advanced and cheap, as well as the least time consuming.
Keywords: self-propelled chassis SSh-2540, wheeled tractors, diesel engines D-120 and D-144, gas engine with forced ignition, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), compression ratio of the internal com-bustion engine, vehicles operating in the LPG.
1. Prices for gasoline, diesel fuel, gas at Ukrainian gas stations. Retrieved from http://vseazs.com.
2. Redzyuk, A. M., Koval`ov, S. O. (2017) Razrabotka gazovyh DVS s prinuditel’nym zazhiganiem na baze shtatnogo dizelja D-120-45 samohodnogo shassi SSh-2540 [Development of gas engines with forced ignition on the basis of standard diesel D-120-45 self-propelled chassis СШ-2540] (PhD Thesis), Kharkiv: National Aerospace University «Kharkiv Aviation Institute», 46.
3. Koval`ov, S. O. (2018), Rozroblennya elektronnoyi sistemi upravlInnya gazovimi digital ami z primuso-vim zapalyuvannyam, pereobladnanimi na bazi dizelIv dlya roboti na zridzhenomu naftovomu gazi. [De-velopment of electronic control system for gas engines with forced ignition, retrofitted on the basis of diesel engines for operation on liquefied petroleum gas]. Avtoshlyahovik Ukrayiny, 4, 12–18.
4. Miller cycle. Retrieved April 17, 2019, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller _cycle.
5. Clarke, D., Smith, W. J. (1997). Simulation, implementation and analysis of the Miller cycle using an inlet control rotary valve, Variable valve actuation and power boost. SAE Special Publications, 1258, 970336, 61–70. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/970336
6. Otto cycle. Retrieved April 17, 2019, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto _cycle.
7. Kryshtopa, S., Panchuk, M., Koza,k F., Dolishnii, B., Mykytii, I., Skalatska, O. (2018). Fuel economy raising of alternative fuel converted diesel engines. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 4, 8, 94, 6–13. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-061.2018.1393581.
8. Kharkov Plant of Self-Propelled Chassis. (2000). Self-propelled chassis SS-2540. Instructions for use of self-propelled chassis SSh-2540. [Samokhodnoe shassy SSh-2540. Ynstruktsyia po эkspluatatsyy samokhodnoho shassy SSh-2540], SSh2540.00.000 IE, OJSC Kharkov Plant of Self-Propelled Chas-sis. Kharkov, 58. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15587/2313-8416.2015.40448
9. SE «State Road Transport Research Institute». (2018). Rozroblennia ta doslidzhennia perspektyvnykh system upravlinnia hazovymy DVZ z prymusovym zapaliuvanniam, na bazi konvertovanykh traktornykh dyzeliv. Rozroblennia elektronnykh system upravlinnia i rehuliuvannia, system zapaliuvannia ta zhyvlennia hazovym DVZ (promizhnyi). [Development and research of perspective systems of control of gas en-gines with forced ignition on the basis of convertible tractor diesel engines. Development of electronic control and regulation systems, ignition and supply systems with gas DICs]. Kyiv, 95.
10. Vansheydt, V. A., Ivanchenko, N. N., Kollerov, L. K. (1977). Dizeli: spravochnik. [Diesels: Handbook], Leningrad, Mechanical engineering, 480.
11. Parsadanov, I. V., Khizhnyak, V. O., Rikova, I.V. (2017). Obgruntuvannya viboru kameri zgoryannya pri zasto-suvannI katalItichnogo pokrittya na poverhnI porshnya [Justification of the choice of the combus-tion chamber when applying a catalytic coating on the surface of the piston], Dvigateli vnutrennego sgoraniya, 2, 18–21.
12. EN 589+ A1:2012 Automotive fuels – LPG – Requirements and test methods. Retrieved from https://webstore.ansi.org/standards/din/dinen5892012
13. Katalog «DALNOBOYSCHIK». Enterprise “Plant Engine”. Retrieved from http://zdvigatel.com/katalog/ dalnoboyshchik.
14. Piston for engine VMTZ D144. Avtramat Ltd. Retrieved from https://www.avtramat.org/product-page/D-144.
15. Cylinder liner internal combustion engine. Motordetal-Konotop Ltd. Retrieved from https://www. motordetal.com.ua/?q=products
16. Abramchuk, F. I. Voronkov, A. I. Otchenashko, S. I. (2008). Analiz kamer sgoraniya, ispolzuemyih v sovremennyih vyisokoobo-rotnyih avtomobilnyih dizelnyih dvigatelyah Avtomob. Transp. [Analysis of the combustion chambers used in modern high-speed automotive diesel engines]. Automobile transport, 22, 117–122.