Mohyla Ihor, Candidate of Technical Sciences (PhD), Lviv Municipal Enterprise “Lvivavtodor”
Bezuhlyy Artem, Candidate of Econimy Sciences (PhD), the State Enterprise “M. P. Shulgin State Road Research Institute”
STANDARDIZATION OF REQUIREMENTS FOR PLANNING AND DESIGNING OF CYCLING INFRASTRUCTURE
Abstract. Cycle movement and cycle infrastructure as inherent part of modern city are growing intensively in Ukraine. There are adopted National Transport Strategy on the state level to promote and develop cycle movement. On local level for the same reason more than 15 Ukrainian cities have their own programs or strategies. But based on research results, there is considerable latent demand on cycle movement, which cannot be expressed because of lack of cycling infrastructure, its fragmentation or low design quality.
In this article basic requirements and principles of planning and design of cycle infrastructure, particularly for cities with progressing cycle movement, are analyzed. There is also shown that requirements of valid state documents and updated building norms provide presence of cycling infrastructure, but these requirements are not enough for high level of its quality.
All outlined is a reason for developing and implementation of new state standard DSTU xxxx:20xx “Planning and designing of cycling infrastructure”, project of which has been developed based on better practices of countries with well-grown cycle movement. It has requirements for planning of cycle network, designing of cycle infrastructure on urban streets and roads (included different street types, narrowed sites, public transport stops, yield, signalized and roundabout intersections), highways and rural roads, requirements for fencing poles, restraining bicycle fences, bicycle racks and parking and constructive requirement for pavement. Project of standard contains also more than 40 schemes to help designers and other stakeholders to work with this standard by visualization of its requirements.
Usage of DSTU xxxx:20xx “Planning and designing of cycling infrastructure” during designing of urban streets, highways, rural roadsand spatial development in general will promote development of cycle movement, rising of road safety level, decreasing of traffic volume and negative influence of motorized transport (especially in cities) on environment.
Keywords: cycling movement, cycling infrastructure, state building guidelines.
1. Dufour, D. (2010). Cycling Policy Guide PRESTO. Cycling infrastructure. EU’s Intelligent Energy, 45.
2. Ukrainian Law. (2001). Pro Pravyla dorozhnyoho rukhu [About Traffic Rules]: Decree of Government of Ukraine #1306 from 10.10.2001. Retrieved from https://zakon0.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1306-2001-%D0%BF.
3. Syrvatka, P., Denysenko, V. (2018). Propozytsii z onovlennya ukrainskykh Pravyl dorozhnyoho rukhu ta tekhnichnykh standartiv v chastyni velotransportu [Proposals for updating of Ukrainian traffic rules and technical standards for cycling]. Kyiv, NGO “Kyiv cycle association”, 36.
4. Zhydkova, T., Kolodyaznyy, A. (2018). Analiz prychyn stagnatsii i propozytsii schodo rozvytku velosypaednoho rukhu v m. Kharkovi [Analysis of causes of stagnation and proposals for development of cycle movement in Kharkiv]. ScienceRise Scientific Journal, 11, 52, 6–10.
5. Chernyshova, O. (2019). Formuvannya merezhi velosypednoho transport v mistakh z nyzkym rivnem yoho vykorystannya [Development of cycling network in cities with low level of cycling]. Thesis for a candidate degree (PhD) in specialty 05.22.01 “Transport Systems” (275 − Transportation technology (for automobile transport)). Kharkiv National Automobile and Highway University, Kharkiv, 206. https://doi.org/10.33042/2522-1809-2018-7-146-2-11.
6. Lviv city council. (2017). U Lvovi 90 % velosypedystiv – choloviky: pidrakhunok velosypedystiv u misti [90% of cyclists in Lviv are men: counting of cyclists in the city]. Retrieved from https://city-adm.lviv.ua/news/city/transport/243055-u-lvovi-90protsent-velosypedystiv-choloviky-pidrakhunok-velosypedystiv-u-misti.
7. Lazurkevych, S. (2018). U Lvovi porakhuvaly kilkist velosyprdystiv [Amount of cyclists was counted in Lviv]. Retrieved from https://zaxid.net/u_lvovi_porahuvali_kilkist_velosipedistiv_n1466511.
8. Boykiv, M., Zhytenko, O., Dikhtyar, O. (2019). Do pytannya yakosti velosypednoho rukhu u m. Lvovi [To the question of quality of cycle movement in Lviv]. Problems with traffic flows and directions to their solving : Proceeding of 3-rd Ukrainian scientific conference. Lviv, Lviv Polytechnic National University, 89–92. https://doi.org/10.32403/1998-6912-2018-1-56-31-42.
9. Sotnikova, A. (2019). Analiz prychyn peresyvannya pisokhodamy velodorizhkoyu [Analysis of causes of usage cycle path by pedestrians]. Problems with traffic flows and directions to their solving : Proceeding of 3-rd Ukrainian scientific conference. Lviv, Lviv Polytechnic National University, 88–89.
10. Ukrainian Law. (2018). Pro Skhavennya Natsionalnoi Transportnoi Stratekhii [About approval of National Transport Strategy] : Decree of Government of Ukraine #430-p from 30.05.2018. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/430-2018-%D1%80.
11. CROW and ZOPKE. (1999). Postaw na rower. Podręcznik projektowania przyjaznej dla rowerów infrastruktury / Th. Michelis ta inne. – Kraków, 304.
12. Federal Ministry of Transport. (2012). National Cycling Plan 2020 Joining forces to evolve cycling . Berlin, 82.
13. Ministry of Regional Development, Building and Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine. (2018). Planuvannya i zabudova terytoriy: DBN B.2.2-12:2018 [State construction norms DBN B.2.2-12:2018 Spatial planning and development]. Kyiv, 179.
14. Ministry of Regional Development, Building and Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine. (2018). Vylytsi I dorohy naselenykh punktiv: DBN V.2.3-5:2018 [State construction norms DBN V.2.3-5:2018 Urban streets and road]. Kyiv, 55.
15. Lerner, M. and others. (2010). Rekomendatsii z orhanizatsii rukhu velosypednoho transportu [Recommendations for cycling facilities]. Translated into Ukrainian by publication: Empfehlungen für Radverkehrsanlagen (ERA). Koln, FGSV Verlag GmbH, 103.
16. Ministerstvo dopravy. (2017). Technické podmínky Ministerstva dopravy CR TP 179. Navrhování komunikací pro cyklisty, 98/2017-120-TN. EDIP s.r.o, 138.
17. Latviešu valoda. (2015). LVS 190-9:2015 Ceļu projektēšanas noteikumi. 9.daļa: Velosatiksme. Spēkā no 19.11.2015. The Latvia Road Technical Committee of Standartization, 66.
18. Velostandards Stadt Zürich. (2015). Grundsätze und Details zur Infrastrukturplanung. Zürich, 17.11.2015. Zürich, 37.
19. American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. (2012). Guide for the Development of Bicycle Facilities. Washington: AASHTO, 17.
20. National Association of City Transportation Officials. (2012). NACTO Urban Bikeway Design Guide. New York, 244. https://doi.org/10.5822/978-1-61091-582-3.
21. City of Copenhagen, technical and environmental administration, traffic department. (2011). Focus on Cycling: Copenhagen Guidelines for the Design of Road Projects. Copenhagen, 24.