Horpyniuk Andrii, Candidate of Technical Sciences (PhD), Deputy Director for Science;
Taraban Serghii, Candidate of Technical Sciences (PhD), Head of Department;
Koskovetskyi Volodymyr, Senior Researcher;
Shatran Andrii, Engineer
(Department of Transport Safety Research, Issues of Normalization, Standardization and Metrology, State Enterprise «State Road Transport Research Institute»)
PEDESTRIAN SAFETY, IN PARTICULAR SCHOOL-AGE CHILDREN, DURING THEIR MOVEMENT AT NIGHTTIME (PDF_2_2019)
Abstract. The issue of the safety of pedestrians, in particular school-age children during their movement at nighttime is considered with the coverage of such aspects of road safety as road infrastructure, vehicle design, behavior of drivers and pedestrians, especially children directly as the most vulnerable road users, and educational activities. Particular attention is paid to the fact that road traffic is the most complex and difficult aspect of the environment that a child can experience, especially during in poor daylight and in darkness (because in the autumn and winter it gets dark very early and time when children should go to school or from school falls at this period of the day).
In the paper is shown how the visibility zones for drivers of motor vehicles in the darkness and in bad weather conditions are changing. Also, in the paper is provided information about the visibility of pedestrians who use or do not use on the clothes the retro-reflective elements, at the use of dipped and distant headlights of the car.
The legislation of Ukraine and European countries in this area, which in particular regulates the requirements for the use of retro-reflective elements, as well as the practice and recommendations regarding their use, are analyzed.
At the same time, the paper conducted a review of existing decisions that ensure pedestrian safety and allow them to be more visible to drivers of motor vehicles, especially with the onset of dusk and at nighttime. The analysis of the recommendations contained in the Consolidated Resolution on Road Traffic (R.E.1) concerning the increase of road safety in the dark time of day is carried out. Recommendations on possible actions to enhance the safety of pedestrians at the national level, including school-age children during their movement at nighttime are given.
Keywords: road safety, road traffic accident, vulnerable road user, pedestrian, vehicle, retro-reflective element.
1. Department of the patrol police of the National Police of Ukraine. Statystyka DTP v Ukrayini za period z 01.01.2018 po 31.12.2018 [Statistics of accidents in Ukraine for the period from 01/01/2018 to 31/12/2018]. Retrieved February 01, 2019, from http://patrol.police.gov.ua/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/DTP-12-2018.xls. https://doi.org/10.1108/PIJPSM-01-2018-0012
2. M.P. Shulgin State Road Research Institute State Enterprise. Statystyka avariynosti za 2018 rik [Statistics of accidents 2018]. Retrieved March 14, 2019, from http://dorndi.org.ua/ua/statistika-avariynosti-za-2018-rik
3. M.P. Shulgin State Road Research Institute State Enterprise. Pishokhode, bud’ uvazhnym na dorozi! [Pedestrian, be attentive on the road!]. Retrieved March 14, 2019, from http://dorndi.org.ua/ua/pishohode-budy-uvaghnim-na-dorozi
4. European Commission, Directorate General for Transport (2018). Annual Accident Report 2018. Retrieved March 14, 2019, from https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/sites/roadsafety/files/pdf/statistics/dacota/asr2018.pdf
5. Department of the patrol police of the National Police of Ukraine. Statystyka DTP v Ukrayini za 2017 rik [Statistics of accidents in Ukraine 2017]. Retrieved February 01,2019, from http://patrol.police.gov.ua/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/DTP-12-2017.xls
6. United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (2009). Svodnaya rezolyutsyya o dorozhnom dvyzhenyy (SR.1) [Consolidated Resolution on Road Traffic (R.E.1)]. Retrieved February 01, 2019, from https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2016/wp1/ECE-TRANS-WP1-123r.pdf
7. International Charity Fund “Assistance to Victims of Road Accidents” (2016). Svitlo, shcho ryatuye zhyttya! [Light that saves lives!]. Retrieved February 01, 2019, from http://dopomogadtp.com/ua/svitlo-shho-ryatuye-zhy-ttya/?fbclid=IwAR3Z16YFuZqKNZ9KtYzHSdrCaBmW9Stoq_Q3f3Q2ofNKygGDpZv_KaldigQ
8. World Health Organisation (2004). Road safety – Visibility. Retrieved February 01, 2019, from https://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/publications/road_traffic/world_report/visibility_en.pdf
9. World Health Organisation (2013). Bezopasnost’ peshekhodov. Rukovodstvo po bezopasnosty dorozhnoho dvyzhenyya dlya rukovodyteley y spetsyalystov [Pedestrian safety: a road safety manual for decision-makers and practitioners]. Retrieved February 01, 2019, from http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/79753/10/9789244505359_rus.pdf
10. World Health Organisation (2013). Sdelat’ peredvyzhenye peshkom bezopasnыm. Kratkyy obzor sostoyanyya bezopasnosty peshekhodov v myre [Make walking safe: a brief overview of pedestrian safety around the world]. Retrieved February 01,2019, from https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/112638/WHO_NMH_VIP13.02_rus.pdf
11. World Health Organisation (2009). Doklad o profylaktyke det·skoho travmatyzma v Evrope [European report on child injury prevention]. Retrieved February 01, 2019, from http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/98744/E92049R.pdf
12. Zabashtans’kyy D. (2013). «Zasvity» sebe [“Light up” yourself]. Informatsiyno-analitychnyy zhurnal «Visnyk. Ofitsiyno pro podatky», № 6 (6), http://www.visnuk.com.ua/ua/pubs/id/4850?issue=110
13. Upravlinnya DAI HUMVS Ukrayiny u Dnipropetrovs’kiy oblasti (2011). Stan’ pomitnym u temryavi – vryatuy svoye zhyttya! [Be visible in the darkness – save your life!]. Retrieved February 01, 2019, from https://gorod.dp.ua/news/67166?fbclid=IwAR0xvyRz1xWO1-Vh1y12HN26Zhr9DX7uC9ZisPUNDduwIfyVHMNI8rKXHR8
14. Pedestrian visibility and safe walking at night. (2016). Retrieved February 01,2019, from https://www.shofior.com/wordpress/pedestrian-visibility-and-safe-walking-at-night/?lang=en
15. Information Agency UNIAN (2011). V Ukrayini pidvyshchuyut’ riven’ bezpeky pishokhodiv [In Ukraine increase the level of pedestrian safety]. Retrieved February 01, 2019, from https://www.unian.ua/health/country/586444-v-ukrajini-pidvischuyut-riven-bezpeki-pishohodiv.html